An 8-year-old who died of E. coli O157 was “not part of an outbreak” and recently visited the US. Did she acquire the infection here? (ht Pat Gardiner)
Wednesday 15 August 2012 11:18
A schoolgirl from Ayrshire, who died after contracting e.coli 0157, had recently returned from visiting her father in the United States. Rachel Shaw, 8, died in Yorkhill sick children’s hospital in Glasgow after suffering a bout of sickness and diarrhoea. Reports today note that she had been visiting her father during the summer holidays and had recently returned from her trip. Cindy O’Driscol, head teacher at Dalrymple Primary, paid tribute to Rachel. She said: “Rachel was a well-loved member of our school community. She was always bright and cheerful and will be sorely missed. “Our thoughts and best wishes are with her family at this difficult time.” NHS Ayrshire and Arran said in a statement that it was satisfied that the case was not part of an outbreak and that a particular source had been identified.