Sumter, SC (WLTX) - The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control says lab results confirm a Sumter boy died after coming in contact with a rare amoeba.
Blake Driggers, 8, died Tuesday.
His aunt, Beth White, says his family was informed Wednesday night that an autopsy revealed the amoeba as the cause of death.
White says Blake complained of not feeling well last Saturday morning after swimming in Lake Marion. On Sunday he got a high fever and was taken to Tuomey Regional Hospital. Doctors there decided to transport back to Palmetto Children’s Hospital, where he later died.