Tools for Writers’ Workflow, ScienceOnline 2012
Here’s a list of tools and programs that were recommended by speakers (David Dobbs, Brian Switek and me) and by the collected wisdom of the audience in the Tools & Tips for Project Workflow session at ScienceOnline 2012 this morning:
- Scrivener (in which you can also write)
- FileMaker (for chronologies)
- Youtube (closed-captioning as a quick-and-dirty draft transcription)
- F4 (and F5)
- Dragon Naturally Speaking
Writing prompts and help:
- Dr. Wicked’s Write or Die
Pro tip, from Scott Rosenberg: Whatever you use, be sure it has a plain-text export, for archiving, and because technologies and programs will change.
Also, as raised by Laura Newman, Steve Silberman’s list of tips from authors of things you should think about as you start a book or big project.